Vegan baked goods are amazing. They’re usually super-moist and delicious. This muffin recipe is definitely both of those things, and easy to make, as well. The only ingredient that might not be available at your standard grocery store is flax meal, but more and more stores have bulk and natural sections now, so you’ll probably be able to find it if you look, especially if you live in a large metropolitan area. If not, your local natural/health food store will have it. You should definitely know this store well. Be a cool college student and eat whole grains!
Of course, we tell you to eat whole grains and this recipe uses white flour only. It originally called for half whole wheat and half white, but white flour is way more accessible. But by all means, use whole wheat flour if you’d like.
Vegan Banana Muffins
adapted slightly from Kitchen Treaty
2 tbsp flax meal
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 overripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup light brown sugar (or 1/3 cup white sugar and a couple tablespoons molasses)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil (use coconut oil if possible!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a muffin tin. You’ll only use nine of the cups.
2. Mix the flax meal with 6 tbsp water and let it sit for five minutes to thicken.
3. In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the sugar, applesauce, oil, flax meal mixture, and vanilla.
4. Dump the flour over the wet ingredients. Toss the baking soda and salt over the flour and gently stir just the dry stuff to combine it. Then, fold the wet and dry ingredients together until just incorporated. Don’t overmix. Err on the side of less mixed. Don’t leave big clumps of flour in there or anything, but don’t beat it into dough, either. Gently fold it.
5. Pour the mixture evenly into the nine cups. Rap the tin firmly on the counter a couple times to get rid of any bubbles.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. You really shouldn’t need more time, but make sure a knife inserted into one of them comes out clean.
7. Let them cool, and enjoy! These are great for days when you don’t have time to sit down for breakfast.